Monday, February 13, 2012

Madame Royale

So here is the next chapter of Madame Royale! I'm still contemplating if I should post more Joan of Arcs chapters...not sure yet. So anyhow, here is Madame Royale!

***
Louis clings dearly to me as I soothe a quiet whisper. “Brave Louis, be a brave Prince” I pat down his blonde curls, while I plead for myself to be calm for his own sake. It does no use, he still whimpers in fear, cowering in the shadows. “Sister, why must Uncle and Auntie Therese leave?”
I purse my lips contemplating if I must lie. “Father thinks they will be safe, Louis. He thinks it will be best for them”
His mouth rises to ask yet another painful question, but to my fortune mother interrupts as she walks over solemnly through the door way. “Children, come say goodbye” Her eyes quickly catch mine and at once, I notice the emptiness. Mother usually carries herself with such grace, and dignity, but it seems that this swan Queen has fallen.
But who can blame her? So many deaths have arrived at court, taking our precious Sophie, and Louis. We have all become the fallen royal family.
“Yes, your grace” I tuck my hands into Louis’s as we march out. “Brave, Louis” I continue to mummer and he listens so carefully as if his life depends on it.
“Dear children!” My aunt bursts as she races to embrace us. Louis gives no second thought as he releases from my grip and clutches her tightly. I come in gradually, kissing the heads of my little cousins, bowing to my Uncle and finally reaching upon my hysterical Auntie, who in return pulls me in whispering prayers, and victory. “Everything shall be fine, we shall have our glory, those shall be punished, and everything will be fine”
Louis simply nods at this, but I know better, I know that nothing will ever be the same.
***
Elisabeth quickly fixes my hair, while she helps carry the luggage. We all rush into the carriage as she tightly clutches me, swiping my curls. “Listen, Marie, Listen”
I cannot even look at her face as she kisses my cheek gently. “You will go to the borders of Montmédy, I will come afterwards, but I must warn you child, that you will be questioned. If this does come so, you must keep in mind that you are no longer princess, so do not expect the same grace you receive. You must identify yourself as Rosaline, crossing to visit her ill grandfather, is this understood?”
I dare not trust my voice, so instead I bow my head, and with this she kisses my pale forehead smiling weakly; “God take care of you, my darling”
“I’ll pray, Aunt, I’ll pray god keeps you safe”
With this little exchange, she rises, stares upon me strongly- bearing the last picture of this forgotten princess and disappears without a second glace.
“Princess, Marie-”
I turn inhaling a sharp breath. “Lady Rosaline, Master William, I am to be Lady Rosaline” He nods and opens up the doors. “Of course, Milady”
“We shall start riding, soon. Shall I go tell the others?”
“No they will see, god speed William”
He inclines his head and strides forwards without another word. And as soon as the carriage begins to hustle and the heart of my childhood, my memories disappear from sight, I allow myself to grieve; I allow the long awaited tears to spill down my cheeks.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment